Spring will be here before we know it and with it HOME SELLS. The market is about to open up again and perhaps you are looking to put your house on the market. Many people choosing to sell are looking to move into a smaller home and NOW is a perfect time to get ready.
Now (during our cold winter months)is a good time to do things that does not involve being outside like finding a realtor, doing small interior repairs if needed,sprucing up the home and DOWNSIZING.
Downsizing can seem a little daunting and overwhelming but it doesn’t have to be. I would like to give you
TEN HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS FOR DOWNSIZING
- Start with the rooms you use the least.
- Start with large items before moving on to smaller items. Identify what you will do with furniture before you start on knick knacks.
- Have a sorting system. Use stickers or make piles or detailed list of what will be kept, given away, and undecided.
- Write down family history connected to special items. This information will be enjoyed by family later.
- Work in scheduled blocks of time. Plan to sort for no more than two hours of time.
- Keep items you treasure most.
- Consider passing down items to family now.
- Get rid of things you no longer need. Be realistic with what you actually use and what you’re just used to having around.
- Consider having a garage sale or home auction. Donate what’s left to charity.
- Start early and don’t rush yourself.
Now, get started and good luck.